Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hat Tricks are Trending

Hey so we've been failing to update the blog (surprise, surprise)! I'm going to do a quick update of things that have happened this weekend and adding a new term to the list.  


This weekend has been a prime example of what young guns can do in the game of hockey. These three guys- Matt Duchene (20 yrs old), Tyler Seguin (19 yrs old), and Steven Stamkos (21 yrs old)- all scored hat tricks this weekend.  Kinda funny how old I'm feeling right now and I'm the same age as these guys (well Stamkos, but still).  N & I have actually met all these guys (thank you NHL All Stars 2010 weekend) and they couldn't be more deserving.  They've worked so hard in their (so far) short careers and they deserve the credit they're getting.  


Note: Notice that for once we didn't mention Jeff Skinner.  I swear this website is becoming his personal fan club page.  Okay I just mentioned him, but trying to avoid Hurricanes because I know I want to bring up his temper tantrum over that bulls$*! call the other night over the dead puck.  I'm stopping now. Really. 


I was waiting to cover hat tricks as a vocab word until Skinner got his first (okay I guess with us the reference is unavoidable after all), but he missed his chance Tuesday night to get mentioned and I think these guys above are deserving enough to merit doing hat trick as the word of the day! Plus, I've been waiting to do this one since the beginning and I can't wait anymore! 



Hat Trick
In hockey, scoring a hat trick (hattie) means a player has scored 3 goals in a game. It's pretty rare, but normally celebrated by the crowd tossing their hats onto the ice. 

Some of our favorite examples:

Matt Duchene:


 

Sidney Crosby (one of his many, couldn't find a good video of 11-27-10):




Okay I'm off for some shopping then watching the Canes game on my laptop, because I don't have tickets for today's game and stupid football is preventing FSCarolinas from showing the game. Ack. Anyways, Let's Go Canes!


Until Next Time,


No comments:

Post a Comment