Saturday, April 7, 2012

Last Day of the Regular Season

It's the last game day of the regular season....
Did I really just type that?
I keep thinking the more I say it, the more used to it I'll get, but that hasn't happened yet. 
I am not ready for the boys to vacate Raleigh.
I am not ready for there not to be ice in PNC Arena. 
I am not ready for summer & no hockey yet (we've got a while though).


Every team in the NHL plays today. 
My favorite AHL team plays today. 
I'm trying to watch Checkers at 12, Penguins at 4, and Canes at 7:30.
Plus drive an hour home sometime too.
This will be interesting.


Since it's the Cane's last day of the season, I'm picking a Lingo term that everyone knows, but will enjoy reliving their favorite moments from this season. 


Breakaway


When a player gets possession of the puck and there are no defenders between them and the goalie.


Penalty shots may be awarded if a defender trips or fouls from behind a player on a breakaway (or as the NHL Rulebook phrases it- when they "have no other opponent to pass than the goalkeeper").  The player must be in the neutral or offensive zone. Also, this one is tricky because the player needs to have possession of the puck or at least the referee must feel like they would have gained control if they had no been fouled. 


Short handed breakaways were really the popular this year with the Canes and I'm not complaining. Here were a few of my favorites to serve as examples.




This was a big game for the Canes as they beat the Wild 5-3 on St. Patrick's day. Bowman had a huge game with 3 points, but it was this pass to Sutter that was really amazing.




Things we learned from this game: if you want Eric Staal to play like a beast, chant mean things to him. After chants of "Jordan's better" at the captain, he showed the crowd in Winnipeg why he's a Triple Gold member. In the post game Staal addressed this by saying "I mean, Jordan's good, but I don't know if he's better." :)


Tonight's going to be sad, that's for sure.
But at least we can spend the next few days perfecting our brackets.
And then we'll cheer for the Penguins.


Until Next Time,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment